Monday, 12 July 2010

When friendship and love are simple

I wasn't planning on blogging but today I've witnessed the simplest and sweetest thing.

I was sat in the waiting room of the local health centre, head in a book (as usual) and awaiting the shot of swine flu that was about to be driven into my body. Just in front of me was a table with 5 borrower sized chairs around it. On the table were squares of plastic commonly known as lego, and a blonde haired girl was sat happily playing by herself.

A few minutes passed and a dirty, scruffy looking five year old walked in, who I later learned was called Max. He plonked himself down at the table in front of me and gave the once over at the blonde opposite him. The conversation went like this......

Max - What's your name?
Girl - Megan
Max - Megan, where do you live?
Megan - Not far from here
Max - Which Country do you live in?
Megan - Errrr
Max's mum - She lives in the same country as us Max.
Max - Oh, I live in Stowmarket.

Max then leaves the table, goes across the waiting room to this towering, gurgling water machine and returns with 2 cups with equal amounts of water in. He sets them down on the table, then picks one back up, walks to Megan and declares - "this is for you". Megan replies with a sweet "Thank-You" to which Max says "I would have got juice if they let me put it in the machine". Megan, looking slightly embarrassed, returns to the safety and comfort of her mum.

I think I may have witnessed five year olds flirting. The purity and innocence of it all was so delightful. When did we make friendships and relationships so complicated? Oh to be five again.

No comments: