Thursday, 1 July 2010

Billy Graham

I have recently read the book 'Billy Graham' by David Aikman which I received courtesy of Thomas Nelson via Booksneeze.

Being a twenty something young adult I was never privy to the whole Billy Graham experience. I never got the so called 'greatness' of this man first hand. I have met many a person who discovered Christ for the first time at a BG rally (oh look, me and Billy share the same initials!), but have never understood the hype surrounding these conventions or this man. Hence why I decided to pick up this book.

I hoped it would give me insight into what made this man great and how he lived his life, but it kind of failed in that. There is no doubt that David Aikman is a good writer but he seems to have a chip on his shoulder about Billy Graham and was keen to point out his faults and flaws. I don't really know why I feel a need to defend a man I never knew or met, but what I know of him is a man who served God faithfully and was a vessel to bring many people to God.

The historical aspects of this book around the influence that Graham had were interesting but at times speculative and again Aikman was skeptical of Graham's motive a lot of the time. An ok book but I would suggest reading it alongside other biographies of Billy Graham and his own autobiography.


No comments: