Friday, 30 July 2010

Anticipation

Isn't anticipation a weird feeling?

Tomorrow I embark on an adventure. I am heading to South Africa for a month. Now if you've had the pleasure of speaking with me in the last month or so, this won't be a surprise to you as i've probably talked about it far more than I needed to. For this I apologise. Just wait til I get back!

"Anticipation or being enthusiastic, is an emotion involving pleasure (and sometimes anxiety) in considering some expected or longed-for good event, or irritationat having to wait." Wikipedia

To say that I'm excited would be an understatment. I am so excited that I have that nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. So excited that I'm counting down the hours at work. So excited that I must have repacked at least 4 times already.

There are many things I'm excited about. Firstly, seeing the most wonderful Waspe family. I can't wait to be reunited with 4 people who mean so much to me. Secondly, seeing South Africa. I love seeing new countries and am keen to get exploring. Thirdly, seeing what God might do over the next month. Umm maybe this should have been first.

Sometimes though the problem of anticipation is that we end up dissapointed. Now i'm sure that South Africa will not dissapoint me but I came across this quote that fits in with a lot i've been learning lately -

'Expecting is the greatest impediment to living. In anticipation of tomorrow, it loses today.'

New and exciting adventures are awesome and great to break up the monotomy of life but it's true that if we forever think about tomorrow we miss out what God may have for us today. So for now i'm living in the today.

No comments: