Friday, 28 May 2010

Book Review

'Change your Church for good' by Brad Powell is the book that's been in my hands this week. It's basically about a guy who was pastoring a struggling church, turned it around under careful instruction from God and made it successful (well if your view of 'success' is increased numbers!).

It's a pretty good and easy read and gives some great advice to church leaders. However there is nothing in here that hasn't already been said and learnt elsewhere. The premise of the book is that "the church was well conceived. The problem is that it's being poorly executed."
I totally agree with this when you look at many churches but I know there are loads that are either getting it right or heading in the right direction.

There are some interesting chapters, starting with the current state of the church then moving on to how to generate passion and excitement before looking at going for the goal towards the end.

This book could leave you thinking that you need to radically change everything you've known about your church and it implies that you should want your church to be a super duper, all singing, dancing mega church. Well shock horror, but not all churches are going to be mega churches. I would recommend this to any struggling church leader or church goer who is dissatisfied with their church and maybe I didn't quite get it as I find myself part of a pretty amazing church, which I am thankful for.

No comments: