Friday, 21 May 2010

My 12 year old self

I was working with some young people this week who were writing letters to their 12 year old self. They were asked to give advice, review how life had gone and to warn about what's coming ahead. It got me thinking about what I would say to my 12 year old self......

Dear Becky (I wasn't really known as Becks when I was 12),

You don't really know me, but I can just about remember you. You're confident, outgoing, happy and very gifted. Don't let go of that. You're trying to figure out who you are and what you are to be, but all you need to do is live an authentic life. Never be content. Always look for the next adventure and don't let fear stop you from trying new things.

Different people will come into your life, please take care of them. Love, value and serve those closest to you and invest in those relationships.

You'll learn to discover the most important thing in life is faith in God. I urge you now to read the Bible more, listen to God and submit all you are to him.

Don't get caught up in what the world offers. At the moment I know it's Sylvanian Families, music in the charts and being popular in school but it's really not that important. Spend money wisely, give generously and be gracious (you may need to look this last word up in the dictionary - it's on the bottom shelf in Dad's study).

Bad things will happen, but don't be afraid. I'm not going to tell you the details as I don't want you to change them. All I ask is that on the 4th September 2007, you step off the curb carefully, a broken leg is painful. When tough times come, embrace them. Remember I've seen the other side and it's sweet. At times you may not feel loved but hold on in there, you are loved indeed.

You are amazing, but you could be so much more. Please don't miss out. Always have fun and wear a smile. Eat less, gossip less and lie less.
Stop eating sweets and brush your teeth better, as fillings are no fun.

I'll see you in the future,

Becks

Your 28 year old self

1 comment:

Miss Biscuit said...

This is SO beautiful. You were a lovely daughter at 12, you are an amazing daughter at 28.