Friday, 26 June 2009

Lessons from Ruth

Well I hope you've all had a good week.
At The Forge this week we've started a new series on the book of Ruth. It has been amazing and I have learnt much. For some of this see Dan's blog and his thoughts that he has shared with us. 

This morning 20 of us met in Tesco's carpark at 7.00am. We chatted about our journey with Ruth this week and then prayed. We were even interrupted by the store manager who asked what we were doing. When we said "praying" he responded with "Praise the Lord, He is Risen!". Wasn't expecting that!

I want to share one story with you from this week and it is a simple story. Much like Ruth's in a way - no Ark, Burning Bush, Man-eating Fish or Resurrections. But Ruth's story was significant. It is one of true love and friendship, devotion and redemption. 

I was working as usual today and this entailed seeing a young girl of 18. During our conversation she happened to mention she had trouble with her bank account so I offered to go with her and sort it out. We did this and resulted in her having to open a new account. I am not particularly close to this girl and have not seen her that often. But as we left the bank she turned to me with tears in her eyes and said "I wish I had a mum who could do things like this for me." Well what a heart wrencher! 

Maybe that's what Naomi was to Ruth - someone who was there in place of her actual mother who cared for her and in sorts provided what she needed (I realise this worked 2 ways!). There are many more motherless children of all ages who need this relationship. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should open an orphanage or something!