Friday, 18 December 2009

2010 Experiment

So 2010 is amount to come into the station ahead of any train on the Norwich-London route at the moment.

Back in January I realized I did not make enough time in my life for study and reading. I set about the challenge of reading 50 pages of a book a day. The canceling of the TV license and 70 books later, it's time for a new challenge. I have read some pretty random and interesting books. Some that I would go as far as saying life-changing and some that were plain boring. My 50 a day habit will continue into 2010 because it's been so worthwhile.

Over the last week I've been thinking about what areas of my life may need development and growth over the coming year. I started looking at my flaws (don't worry this isn't about to turn depressing or to be an intimate confession). One of the many things that stood out was my materialistic nature and my slight shopaholic tendencies.

For the first 6 months of 2009 I also attempted to not buy any new clothes. This lasted well for about 4 months. Not bad going I thought! This really wasn't solving the route of the problem. The problem is Worship. Yes I give worth and adoration and glory to things. This is bad. I need to learn not to treasure earthy things. This leads on to my 2010 experiment.....

So from the 1st of January 2010 I am going to give something away every day. This could be hard but I may donate some of the many clothes and shoes in my house, I may provide a meal for someone, I might get a cup of coffee for someone, give money to someone in need, buy a gift to make someone's day. Hey, you might even be the lucky recipient!

I was going to say I will post on here how I get on, but the other thing I need to work on is humility and the two don't really get on!




2 comments:

Simon Peacock said...

Hmm sounds interesting,
I still need to think of a new year's resolution,
Maybe start a few new hobbies, or actually complete some projects I start haha

Henry Matter said...

dont think its about humility, just honesty any helping people by saying how your doing :) doesnt have to include what and who inparticular! :)