I've had a good and strange weekend. I went to an Orthodox monastery yesterday and hung out with a few monks and nuns. It was a completely new but awesome experience as I didn't know much about Orthodoxy. To be honest I'm no expert now but it was great to talk to some nuns and a Priest who used to be a Church of England vicar!
There's a lot going for them Orthodox folk - they take their authority from the Orthodox church. The advantage of this is that nothing changes. The way they do things such as their liturgy and traditions have always been done the same way and this is just accepted and will NOT change in the future. It is grounded in the Bible and the instructions of the Saints. This means they don't have church splits, variations on theology, questionable doctrines etc etc.
Now I'm all for change and this crazy emergent church business that I find myself in but they did give me the hard sell. I'm not quite ready to convert but am more open to the idea.....and will definitely be visiting again.
I also saw Ma and Pa Stevens yesterday and that crazy pipe smoking brother of mine. I was genuinely shocked when walking along in the woods my brother decides to whip out his pipe (no euphemism!) and light up. Anyway we had a nice walk with the dogs and may have uncovered some evidence in a murder case. We came across a head of hair and a baseball cap. On closer inspection the hair was a wig but that's really not the point. I took photos just in case!
Today I have been to church and actually sat in a service for once (as opposed to doing youth work) and then have come home to work on my lovely and delightful NVQ.
I'm also getting very excited about going to Denver in 5 days time - wahoo!
No comments:
Post a Comment